Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday, November 28th

Yesterday in class we read the Dred Scott case and then had a discussion about it. We discussed whether or not you should be able to buy something legally and then move to somewhere where its illegal and then since its your property they cant take it away from you. The one argument point that was brought up was that if that was allowed then ultimately everywhere can be a slave state because you can go purchase your slave in Georgia and then move to your hometown where it may not be legal anymore, thus defeating the purpose of free states as a whole.

Today in class we watched the Lincoln-Douglas debate in black and white movie form. I liked being able to hear them say it because it always makes more sense to me than when I read it to myself. The way they speak reminded me a lot of MLKs I have a dream speech. Then we filled out a sheet based on other documents we were given about the issue. Lincoln was slightly confusing about his points because he was anti slavery yet he didnt believe that blacks and whites are equal. When you think about it, blacks and whites still arent really equal. Blacks are stereotyped as being the, "ghetto" and living in bad areas and not making as much money as a whit citizen. I guess those barriers are being broken more and more now that Obama is president. I wonder if there are any black people who voted against him. That would be interesting to see.

For my 30 day challenge I had dance yesterday and today so I managed to get my stretching in.

No comments:

Post a Comment